Friday, February 27, 2009

Closing the Sale

When I first started selling, I knew next to nothing about how to sell.

My first bit of sales training was "don't let the customer walk." No discussion of how to prevent that from happening--just don't let it happen. Although I sincerely wanted to make every sale, I wasn't always successful. My next bit of sales training was "drop the price, throw in the mounting and balancing for free, just don't let them walk."

This helped, but I knew that there had to be more to it then this. So I began a quest that still continues to this day. I read as much as possible about sales: from Brian Tracy to Zig Ziglar. I attended seminars--most company paid, but a few that I shelled out for--on sales, customer service and "success".

Now I am a lot better salesman today then I was in 1978. That ability has come in spite of most of what I read and studied. I am going to tell you what is wrong with most sales training material.

The typical sales training book (where ever I say "book" feel free to inset "tape", "CD" or "seminar", for that matter) focuses on "closing the sale." ABC--"always be closing" is a popular phrase. Some books will have you memorize different closes: "would you like whitewalls or black walls?" "Will that be cash or charge?" I guess they think this is so slick that the customer will pick one, then not realize that they purchased new tires until they are home, hours after you have installed them.

I agree that you should ask for the sale by using some type of closing phrase once you have made your presentation and you sense the customer is ready. The sale, however, is made long before this point. Let me repeat that in case you weren't paying attention: the sale is made long before the close!

Notice I said the sale is "made." To me, over reliance on canned "closes" stinks of cheesy hucksters and con men.

You begin making your sale long before you are in front of the customer.

It begins with the development of your character when you are young. Everything that is good, worthwhile and - in the long-run- profitable, has its roots in honesty and integrity.

It begins with hours of study of technical knowledge and product knowledge so you can recommend an appropriate solution to your customer's need.

It begins with a desire in your mind to give 110% to your customer, your employer and your chosen profession of selling. (Even on those off days when you don't fee like it).

It happens everyday with a cheery attitude, a commitment to keeping up with technology, and a desire to make it to the top.

Its a life-long commitment.

Now don't get me wrong. I still listen to Brian Tracy, Zig Ziglar, Dale Carnegie, and many others. I try to get in on any training seminars I can. I take every web-based course I can. If I get one good idea from a book, a CD, a class then its been well worth the time I invested.

What's wrong with most training (especially live classes or seminars)? There's no follow up, no practical exercises. No putting into practice. You sit in class for 4 hours and that's it. Life goes on just as it did before. If I was designing a training program, I would make 60% of it practical, hands-on, role-playing or coaching.

Take personal responsibility for your own training. Read a book or listen to a CD and then take one or two good ideas and try to implement just those ideas. Note then on your calendar to see if you tried them and if they help.

Oh, and the "secret" to closing the sale? Listen to what the customer says. Pause (and think) before answering. Ask a question based on what they said. Pause again and think. Don't be afraid to be curious and ask more questions.

And you'll never close them all, some will walk. Buts that just the way it is.

2 comments:

  1. One way to increase your sales is to focus on your client's specific needs and situation. There are sales seminars available that will give you strategic hands-on skills that will help you hone in on this crucial aspect of sales, so that you can meet your customer's needs and close more deals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work there Doug. The bike does look great. I kinda thought it would be the LHT after Viks post. That's a bike I'd love someday. Cheers.


    wheels and tires for sale

    ReplyDelete